Saturday, July 9, 2016

An Interview With Good Roots Farm 



Located in Lincoln, Massachusetts, right near the Lexington border, Good roots farm grows and sells many different kinds of produce from baby greens to turnips to summer squash. And it’s all certified Organic! 

Learn more at their website at: http://www.goodrootsfarm.net/

What strikes me most every time I walk by their stand is just how much green there is. Turnip leaves, sprawling heads of fennel, the “salad green buffet”…it is everywhere. 

I (Kate Mitchell) talked to the farm owner Brian and his wife Lia on June 30th 

K: How did you get started? What motivated you to start your own farm?
Brian: [pauses to word perfectly] "well, I wanted to grow good food that would not impact the environment. I learned about farming from working with other farms, reading a lot, and doing it on my own.”

K:  How long has the farm been running? 
Brain: “3 years now.”
Lia: “We actually started 4 years ago, but the first year was spent prepping the land"

K: How many people working?
Brain: "we have 3 part time workers right now." 
Lia: "I help out with the markets. I am a full time nurse at mass general. This market, the Medford one, was our first market we sold at back in 2014"

K: What are some of your favorite parts about working on your own farm?
Lia: "I am not much of a gardener, so I really enjoy the opportunity to work on this [farm] project and work with my husband. I enjoy being part of his work. I also love taking and engaging with the customers."
Brian: "I just love it. I love to negotiate, I love the challenge of making good food"

K: What are some of your goals for the future? 
Brain: "I want to keep learning, to find more efficient was of doing [farming] it. It's two parts: one, is to become a better farmer, and two, is to be able to sell it [produce]!"


No comments:

Post a Comment