Thursday, July 14, 2016

Day 2


Feeling a lot better about the project now that I see the the veggies in the refrigerator being put to use. Now that the fennel is in its respective salad and it's big green stems are in a "scrap" container saved for broth, the amount of green stuff in my house feels a lot more controllable. 

Lessons: Communication is VERY important. I had planned to make a radish and carrot green pesto, but unfortunately someone in my house who is used to throwing them out good-naturedly cut them off for me. Oh well. Next time I will state when I get home my plans of using every part of the vegetable I can. Of all the things to be lazy with, communication is not one of them I have found. It also might be best to store cucumbers in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. I tried some internet advice and left them out on the countertop, but they had lost some of their water by the time I had got to them (3 days).

You get the odd shaped veggies and the seedy veggies at the local market. But that is such a good thing! Those vegetables might have been thrown out if they were sent to a supermarket.


I have also found that it is really easy to waste when you have a lot of food in the house. The more you have, throwing a little away seems like less of a crime. A carrot green here, one leek there…I must not let it happen! So far I have managed to waste very little. Though some fennel stems I was saving for broth did not make it back into the refrigerator…I am still pleased with my progress.

Tips: I highly recommend getting a mandoline if you do not have one already!  I have had a very small dinky one for some time now, and it has really been a pleasure. I find raw vegetables sliced paper thin easier to eat, and they take on more sauce that way too. 

Things Made: 
Carrot Cucumber Soba Noodle Salad
The second half of the Fennel Radish Potato Salad
Zucchini “Alfredo” Noodles 



There is much to be learned and much to be learned!  

No comments:

Post a Comment