Friday, July 22, 2016

Day 3



Got on top of plaining and things are feeling fine. There is less food in the refrigerator so it makes going in there less overwhelming. Feeling happy with all the good food I have been able to make. 
In the name of using every part of the vegetable, I will attempt to make pickled Kale stems. I once talked to someone running a no food waste cooking demo, and even he said he threw out his kale stems. However I found online (thank you epicurious.com) someone saying you could pickle the stems, so I am going to try that and see how they come out. Operation no food waste goes onwards!


Lessons: Plaining is very important. Next time I will organize what I am going to use and when, so I can place the produce I will be using at the beginning of the week in the front of the fridge and leave things that can last a few days like the napa cabbage berried in the back to be unearthed when it is ready. 

Tips: The internet is such an amazing food resource. Trouble shooting? Someone has had the same problem and has written an easy on how to solve it. I also like to get 2-3 variations of a  recipes before I make it for myself, to get an idea of what is curtail to the dish and what I can experiment with.  


SAVE THOSE CELLRY LEAVES! I once saw a professional chef use them to garnish a dish, and I found that the leaves had a wonderful sweet celery flavor and were very tender. I use the leaves in two recipes tomorrow.

Made: 
Black Bean Patties 
Vegetable Broth 
Kale Soup 
Ginger Pickled Carrots
Pickled Kale Stems and Asparagus 

Breakfast: black bean patties 
Lunch: leftover alfredo and potato salad with chicken 

Dinner: kale soup with chicken 

No comments:

Post a Comment