Monday, July 11, 2016

Market Day 

June 30th 2016

The Goal: Buy enough produce to last me until the next market.



The Haul:
  • 1 bunch beets 
  • 2 carrot bunches 
  • 1 fennel bulb including stems 
  • 3 loose cups garlic scrapes 
  • 1 medium bag baby arugula 
  • 1 medium bag baby chard 
  • 4 medium red potatoes 
  • 1 small and one large zucchini 
  • 1 large summer squash 
  • 1 large green papper 
  • 1 small napa cabbage 
  • 1 bunch kale 
  • 1 celery head 
  • 2 large tomatoes 
  • 1 quart blueberries
  • 2 cucumbers 


What I Had in Mind While Buying: I had about 3 recipes already planned (pickled asparagus, beet chickpea bowl, and fennel radish potato salad) so I bought things for them, but other then that I just bought things that sparked my interest. Personally I find it fun to create recipes from random ingredients, however next time I would have a few more recipes plained before I went to the market. It would have made the shopping experience faster and less stressful. 

Lessons Learned: Before attempting to bring that haul home, it is very important to communicate how much food you will be bringing with anyone you are sharing living space with. I thought I had explained my goals to my mother well enough, but I misses some things and she made a portion of soup to last for several days the day of the market, throwing a challenge into my plain to eat only market food and to waste little to no food. 
Tips: Once you get home, make a plain of how to use the produce and when, prioritizing using the vegetables that take up the most space first. This helped give me some peace of mind. 


I felt rather unwell that evening, so the official challenge of using the produce would start the next day.

Here goes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment